Saturday, January 13, 2024

Sock machine

Yes, I have a new sock knitting machine! It's an Erlbacher that Mom and I ordered back in September. It arrived just before Thanksgiving, but with the holidays I didn't want to get started and then have to stop.


I admit that it was quite expensive, but I have everything I need and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun!

This past week I found a YouTube channel, Wise Owl Knits, where there are videos for a 30 day journey with a sock knitting machine. I like her approach to trying a little bit each day and learning from what has been accomplished, even if there are mistakes. 

I followed the day one video yesterday to make the little green hat. I plan on watching day two this afternoon.

I still need to find the perfect spot for my machine. Right now it's in the dining room next to my grandfather clock. The spot is okay, but not ideal. I will find the perfect spot eventually!

I do enjoy hand knitting, and I won't give it up. However, the stash of sock weight yarn I have is ridiculous, and there's no way I could use it up in my lifetime. I plan on making all sorts of knitted items with my sock machine, and those items will be available to any family member or close friend who would like them.


I did get a little nervous about spending so much money without knowing if I would even like cranking on a machine. So, Mom and I each ordered Sentro knitting machines and then Addi machines. I like the variety of sizes available in the Sentro, but the quality of the Addi machines is so much better. Mom has been making several styles of hats and scarves on the Addi King 46 pin machine. I have been making gnomes on the Addi Express 22 pin machine.


Cranking is fun! I thought I would go through my yarn stash much more quickly than I have. Of course, I have added to my stash since I didn't have quite the right colors for what I wanted to make. I really enjoy making the gnomes, and I have had great fun giving them away. 

If you've been thinking of trying out a sock machine, I would highly recommend trying out cranking on either a Sentro or an Addi machine first to see if you like the process. There is a bit of a difference between the plastic machines and the sock machines, but I was able to learn a lot about cranking by working with the much less expensive machines first. 

If you decide to try one of the plastic machines, I would avoid the 22 pin Sentro. I've read about way too many problems with it. Yes, the Addi is two to three times more expensive, but it is well worth the price difference. Mom switched to the 46 pin Addi after working for a while with the 48 pin Sentro. I don't think she'd ever go back to the Sentro.

If your goal is to make hats, definitely go with the 46 or 48 pin machines. They work with 3 or 4 weight yarn, but not all yarns work well. I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby works well in my 22 pin machine, but not at all well in the 46 or 48 pin machines. I'm not sure why. 

The 22 pin machine is good for toys like gnomes, skinny scarves, and headbands. I'm sure there are other things that can be made, but those are what I've found so far.

Definitely watch some YouTube videos! I'm amazed at the creativity and willingness to share ideas. Yes, you can buy patterns on Etsy, but I think you'll find plenty of free patterns on YouTube. Have fun!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us about your sock machine! I don't know if I'll ever get one but I'll keep dreaming about it in the meantime. I look forward to seeing your first pair of socks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good advice, to try a less expensive version first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of a sock machine, I expect manufactures have one, I am looking forward to seeing your first socks

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first 2 questions: Is cranking with the Erlbacher sock machine even more addicting than your previous machines? Does it make you forget about vacuuming? (Hee, hee!) Congratulations, and happy cranking!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!