Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The curse of the UFOs

I'm not sure if I put down Kencana because I realized I had made a mistake or if I made the mistake last night while trying to stay awake in my chair. At any rate, Kencana has been snipped from the shuttles and thrown in the trash. It just didn't seem worth my time to try and retro-tat to fix it.

To get myself back on track with my tatting, I did what Jane suspected I would do...


I started a Spinning Wheel glass mat in blue! This is my all-time-favorite pattern from Tatting with Visual Patterns by Mary Konior. I have no idea how many of these I've made over the years, but whenever I get in a tatting funk, this is my go-to pattern. It always gets me back on track! What's your go-to pattern?


In addition to unearthing a mountain of shuttles, I've stumbled upon a bit of thread. I'm a sucker for a good sale, and it seems that Hobby Lobby just rotates supplies to the clearance shelves once it's been on display for a designated period of time. How can any reasonable tatter turn down a price reduction such as this? So, how much thread have I uncovered in my sewing room? Enough to fill an 11" x 11" fabric cube! I shudder to think how much more there is stored in the upstairs closet!


I don't often recommend books, because I find that my taste in books tends to be a little different. However, I do like to read books that others recommend. A friend of mine put together a list of possible books for her book club. I don't attend, because it's too far away. When I saw her list, this title caught my eye. When I was younger, it was my dream to own my own book store. That was back in the day when there were little book stores all over, and there were very few large book stores. Anyway, I started reading it after school today. I've only read 15 pages, but the story line has caught my interest. Have you read any good books lately?

16 comments:

  1. I like the title, too ! Will check out the blurb ... My dream was to have my own personal library & it has been fulfilled :-D Our books have spilled over from the study, to take over All the rooms now ;-P

    I am reading The Name of the Rose at present. I'm a slow reader & usually use light novels/short stories etc. as pauses between more serious reading.

    Beautiful blue shade ... SABLE suits you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued! I've put The Name of the Rose on my reading list.

      Yes, I do believe SABLE suits me well!

      Delete
    2. The first few pages were a drag for me but soon the story picks up. I just wish there were English translations for the Latin sentences/phrases. Can't keep interrupting my reading to check out Google translate ;-P
      Movie by same name was very good, too, with Sean Conner as protagonist.

      Delete
  2. That will be another beautiful spinning wheel glass mat!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gorgeous blue! Ow!
    I enjoyed The a name of the Rose but it is a bit dense. Maybe I'll try your book next. I've recently been burning through the Kristin Hannah books which are wonderful and heart rending.
    My elder daughter and I were just talking about how wonderful it would be to own a combination book/yarn/tatting shop. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love this blue! Maybe when I retire I can convince Dave to move to MN and we can all work the shop together! ;-)

      Delete
  4. I used to be green with envy when you people over the pond would post about the bargain Lizbeth thread you bought from Hobby Lobby, but now extremely content with my stash of threads and having a wow of a time with them. Enjoy making your spinning wheel, don't blame you abandoning your previous tatting project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've always been envious of the fabulous shuttles and designers across the pond!

      Delete
  5. Whatever it takes to keep your tatting mojo going! The spinning wheel mat is a great 'exercise' for you, and you're making something useful! Unfortunately, I'm not doing a lot of tatting (or blogging, either)! But when I do pick up a shuttle I tend to just practice the interlocking rings, as they are comfortable for me to do now, and I can make pendants with them, as gifts or to sell. However, many interlocking ring sets are sitting in baggies, waiting patiently for me to do something with them!

    I have to admit I'm not reading books these days - always on the internet, researching many things, including archived local newspapers, which give amazing insight into my own childhood memories. Am also working on family trees. I love history and mostly read books relating to historic events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is reading! I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge available to us on the Internet. I'd probably finish more books if I didn't spend so much time following links!

      Delete
  6. Another spinning wheel, I love that book, I think I must dust the book off and tat something from it.
    Yes my stash of craft being it card making, wool, and thread for tatting, unfortunately we can't just buy lizbeth thread unless we buy it online, oh we do envy you to be able to walk into hobby lobby to buy a ball.
    I read romance novels, and I prefer a book in my hand rather than a kindle or iPad.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite tatting book! I do prefer a book, but I carry my Kindle to school with me. It's easier to read as I'm eating my lunch!

      Delete
  7. That title sounds very interesting. Owning a bookstore is a great idea - my friend and I was toying with the idea of combining with a cafe or a laundromat. So for nothing concrete yet since she is doing her doctorate in Liverpool.

    I guess each have their own pattern to turn to. However, I have not done any tatting for ages. maybe it's time to start something small.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your glass mat is a lovely color. I enjoy making it. I would make more if they sold faster. I'm reading a book by Max Lucado..it's called 3:16. Based on John 3:16. It's very well written. And I'm working on 3 different tatting projects. Two of Jane's one of which is the TIAS. And a doily from Jan Stawasz. More later in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favorite pattern! I haven't started the TIAS yet. I'll have to check out the book!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!