Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Thinking green

Back when I was in high school, there was a major snow storm in the Chicago area. Everything came to a stop, and we couldn't wait for Spring. It seemed that everyone was saying, "Think green!" in anticipation of warmer weather.


I was thinking of that winter and of the contests on the radio as I tatted today's Doodle Ice Drop with my new shuttle from Middy Clark of The Knotted Vine. My sister Janet entered a radio contest. Winning the contest meant listening to the radio, waiting for your name to be announced, and calling the radio station within a specified time limit. We were at home working on sewing dresses, Mom's way of keeping us from going stir crazy. Mom must have needed a break from the constant noise of the radio, because we had to turn it off for a while. When Mom let us turn on the radio again, we heard the dj say that Janet Green hadn't called in, so another name was chosen. We were thrilled to hear Janet's name on the radio, even though she didn't win the contest. That was big excitement for 1967!

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty Ice Drop!! :)
    Neat story(and just to let you know I was only 1 year old in 67)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I'm guessing you don't remember that winter! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, how frustrating to find you’d switched off at just the wrong time! Your green ice drops are certainly a harbinger of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all had a good laugh about it! I am ready for Spring. Dave saw his first three robins in the back yard yesterday. I had seen one a few days before. The chickens are out running around the yard and enjoying the fresh air.

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!