Friday, August 12, 2016

An unexpected conversation

My friend Peggy is housebound right now, so I volunteered to run an important error for her. It involved some wait time, so I got some shopping in. I love buying end-of-the-season items at a greatly reduced price!

When I returned to pick up Peggy's device, there was still some wait time, so I pulled out my tatting. After about 10 minutes, one of the girls came out in to the reception area and asked if I was tatting. When I replied yes, she told me that Maria tatted. About 10 minutes later, Maria came out and we talked about tatting for about 15 minutes. Maria has been tatting for about 30 years, and she has even made her own shuttles. Needless to say, I was impressed! She told me that other than the elderly lady who taught her to tat, she had never met another tatter.


I might have finished my Spinning Wheel today, but somehow I tangled up my thread and I didn't notice until I had closed the ring. Size 80 rings are not easy to open, and working with a dark thread makes the task much more difficult. In hindsight, I probably should have just cut out the ring and rejoined the thread, but I can be stubborn. I wasn't going to let a little ring defeat me. I bet it took me close to two hours to open that little stinker!

The good news is, I made a new tatting friend and I will probably finish this piece tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Great story! That just shows what doing good for others will get you!

    Sorry about the little ring, been there, done that. Or last night I opened and untatted, then found a knot, opened that and ripped the thread. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to meet another tatter and I'm sure she was pleased too. I broke the thread when opening a size 40 ring a couple of days ago, I can't imagine how you managed to open one in size 80!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story and how wonderful to find a fellow tatter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So neat to meet another tatter!!! :)
    Frustrating trying to open such small rings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Marie, not meeting another tatter all those years, so happy you two have met. Oh how I love your Glass mats. This one almost had me, I took out the book and turned to page 74 but must resist and finish other projects first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice the two of you connected. I'm lucky I've met a few tatters other than the ones I've taught. Not many, though! Congratulations on persevering with that pesky ring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meeting Maria was special. You are very sweet to help out your housebound friend. Tatting Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool to meet another tatter!!!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!