Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Face lift

Daughter Carol's classroom needed a face lift, so guess what we've been doing the past two days?


The school was built in the '70s when mustard yellow and metal shelving was very popular. It just looks old and nasty now.


Carol made turquoise curtains to cover the shelving and a black curtain to cover the mustard yellow section.


Carol teaches geography, current world issues, civics, and economics at the high school level. She always decorates the folding wall between her classroom and the one next door, but she added some new posters this year and changed up the look.


One thing that really bothers her is that she has mismatched pieces in her room, including this storage cabinet. The black was fine, but she didn't like the faux wood look on the doors. Her original plan was to paint the cabinet, but then I told her about Mod Podge!



Carol went shopping for Mod Podge and found a pack of scrapbook paper that had a variety of maps. Now she has a colorful new cabinet in her room! See the file cabinet to the left? This morning it was an ugly gray. It's amazing what a little spray paint can do!


The work table in her room has seen better days. It's used for group work, but it really needed some work done.


Mod Podge to the rescue! Her classroom is now brighter, more colorful, and definitely more cheerful!


Five hours at school both yesterday and today didn't leave much time for tatting, but I didn't mind a bit. After all, I don't have to go back to work in two weeks! ;-)

My newest Spinning Wheel is in the gorgeous blue Majestic thread that I started to use on Renulek's Napkin Marta. It's size 80 #849. I do love tatting with the finer thread!

12 comments:

  1. Her room looks great! I especially love the table!!! are you missing the "going back" a bit?

    Love that Majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you can go back to 'visit' but don't have to 'live there'! But I'm sad Carol has to go back so soon! I believe that school should start after Labor Day and end on June 1. That's the way it really was in 'my' day! Also didn't start classes until 8:15 am! I could not have been on a bus at 6:30 to get to school by 7 am! Actually, school was just a five-minute walk for me! Just a bit spoiled!

    Carol has a heavy-duty teaching assignment! She's an amazing gal, and I know you're so proud of her! Classroom looks very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in Philadelphia until I finished 8th grade. We always started after Labor Day and went to mid-June. When we moved to the Chicago area, we were quite surprised that school started before Labor Day1

      Delete
  3. The classroom looks so much nicer! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for Modge-Podge and creativity! So what's it going to be like for you when school starts?

    Kids here started school as early as August 1! They're all in school now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll go outside and wave to the school bus as it passes by on the first day of school. It will be fun to wave to the kids!

      Delete
  5. Classroom updates look fantastic!!! :)
    Looks like you are off to another great start on another glass mat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky pupils having a teacher (and her mum!) willing to spruce up the classroom! Looks bright and pleasant and ready for learning in. That's a lovely blue for the next spinningwheel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful classroom! Who'd have thought that Mod Podge could take on the big job of upgrading cabinets? I bet all of your daughter's students will be inspired learners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pleasant makeover !!! You two have been creatively busy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Nice job on the classroom. Can you believe how little gets done when you are not punching the clock? That astounds me. If you really want something done, give it to a busy woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a difference to the classroom, one thing that struck me was you have your flag up in the corner. It was rare that our countries flag was ever flown when I was at school. It was only the other day when my hubby and me were out we said it was nice to see so many flags still flying after the queens 90th birthday celebrations, and we wished that they were flown more often.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!