Thursday, August 18, 2016

First day of retirement

Yes, you read it correctly! Since today was the day teachers in our district headed back to school, I feel like today is the first day of my retirement. I had a big smile on my face this morning!

Monday is the first day for the kids, so my plan is to take my morning walk so that I can wave to the kids on the school bus as it passes by. :-)

On Tuesday, I went for my physical and finger printing so that I can sign up for substitute teaching. I'll be babysitting the daughter of some friends after school. Most exciting of all, I'm going to be giving sewing lessons to two third grade girls after school, starting next week!


I tried breaking my day into segments to see what could be accomplished. Every hour at the top of the hour I went outside and walked our porch for 15 minutes. I managed to get in my 10,000 steps before lunch!

I set little goals for myself for the remaining 45 minutes of each hour: household chores, fixing and eating breakfast, tatting, knitting, crocheting, reading. I didn't accomplish a lot of anything before lunch, but at least I accomplished something.

After lunch I treated myself to a 45 minute nap, then I watched a movie on Netflix. Of course I tatted while watching the movie!

I'm not sure if I'll continue this routine, but I did find that switching activities frequently helped with my wrists. Tomorrow I may try something different, but I had fun trying this routine today!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this post !!! Love your multitasking experiments & hope you establish a creative equilibrium with a cooperative wrist :-)
    Good to know you have opportunities to spread your creativity to the new generations !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been walking and it has done wonders for me I go at different times but make sure I go every day I have bumped it up to 50 mins now and actually enjoy it. I love this perfect quilter thread color and I love how you can tat for miles with no imperfections except for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane,
    Hurrah, I bet it is a great feeling. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    You pretty much have it all planned out. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are enjoying your time!! :)
    Your glass mat is looking wonderful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try walking for a few minutes every hour. That sounds like a great way to get in some exercise and break up the routine--if I can make myself stop what I'm doing. I tend to get very focused on the task at hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must've felt that you were playing truant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your routine sounds great. Setting a goal or two each day is what gets my work done keeps me busy during retirement. I do Tai Chi but I do walk to the community class twice a week.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!