Monday, May 13, 2019

Something new


Last night I decided to start a new project. A while back I purchased all three Curls books by Hunter Hammersen. After a conversation with my friend Denise a few weeks ago, I decided it was time I actually tried knitting something from the books, rather than just admiring the pictures!

I had read the first book before starting the Marly Bird Mystery Knit-along a few months ago. No, I haven't finished that project yet. I will. Anyway, participating in the knit-along helped me better understand the concept of Curls. I think I sometimes do better when I blindly follow the directions instead of trying to understand all that's going on. At least that was the case with this particular concept. I was reading way too much into the design, and I became very confused.

I decided to practice with some leftover Mandala yarn. This might not end up being large enough to be useful, but I'm enjoying practicing! This pattern is Caesious. It's a simple four row pattern repeat. Who knows? I may even end up memorizing this one!


I am slowly rebuilding my Ice Drop stash. Since I have so many projects going right now, I've been sticking with super simple designs. They're quick and easy, and I don't have to think too much about what I'm doing!


Daughter Carol really wanted this light brown integrated into her afghan. There will be a little more of the dark brown than we had originally planned, but that's okay. As it turns out, the dark brown is the color that Carol likes best of the ones she chose. Isn't it wonderful when things work out?

7 comments:

  1. Great projects!! :) I love the start of the new one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there something unusual about the Curls patterns? Yes, sometimes we make things difficult for ourselves! I like the pop of green in the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Curls pattern starts with just a few stitches. As you increase, the pattern curls around. I'm hoping I like the way this lays around my shoulders when it's finished. I enjoy knitting and crocheting shawls, and I'm interested in creating new shapes. I think I will learn a lot about increasing with patterns from this book!

      Delete
  3. I love your knitting adventures! I agree with "Blindly following" as that happens a lot for me with music. If I just read the music and play, I discover how it sounds much faster and I like it better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing music is something I would love to be able to do! I used to love to watch my grandmother play hymns on the piano. I did take piano lessons for a couple of years, but I never quite caught on to making my fingers move the correct way.

      Delete
  4. You sent me scurrying to the internet to find out more about Hunter Hammersen and her books. I've been out of the knitting game for quite a while and am amazed at the creations I see on Ravelry and how many new designs and techniques are out there. I understand the Curls scarves are diagrammed, which interests me because when I tried to convince my knitting group back in the '80s-'90s to try just simple charts (even for Fair Isle color knitting) they balked! I discovered a wonderful book in the 1970s that showed how to chart Aran (Fisherman) texturing such as cables and leaves; and I bought large sheets of graph paper (with small squares) and wouldn't start a Fisherman sweater without charting it first, using color coding. The time I spent doing those charts made knitting a breeze. However, I had difficulty with intricate shawl patterns because of the constant increasing/ decreasing, not to mention very fine yarn. The Curls shawls let you use any yarn, but I can't imagine what the 'Curls' charts look like! You seem to not be intimidated by them !

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!