Monday, September 23, 2019

Finishing projects

Dave and I spent time with friends yesterday, but I still managed some tatting time!


Tatting friend Jeanne sent me some ribbon to experiment with, and I was pleased to tat an Ice Drop. The ribbon is thicker than size 20 Lizbeth, so this is a five pointed pattern instead of six. I really enjoyed tatting with ribbon. It's very slippery, so I had to pay close attention to make sure my rings were closed and that I didn't have any spaces between my double stitches.

I can't remember who, but someone on Facebook commented that ribbon was nice for brooches because of the stiffness of the stitches. I do think ribbon would make a beautiful tatted brooch.


I was putting away my Tollway Tatters supplies and came across a hanky I had started over a year ago. I don't know why I stopped, but now it's finished and I really like the way it turned out. The hanky blank is from Handy Hands, and the thread is hand-dyed Beach Cafe from Marilee Rockley aka Yarnplayer.

It's a little late for a summer hanky. Do I dare start one in fall colors, or should I move right on to winter? Hmmm... I guess you'll have to wait and see!


The next set of bookmarks for Madelyn will be in black and yellow. The black looks so elegant! I think it would make a beautiful choker.

16 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Everything looks so wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty Little Things 😆💗

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d never have thought of tatting with ribbon, it looks good, has a pretty sheen. The hanky is lovely! Much too pretty to languish as a ufo, good thing you found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of tatting with ribbon either! There are some interesting YouTube videos on tatting with ribbon, some ideas I think I'll try out!

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful shade of blue for your ribbon ice drop, it doesn't look any thicker than thread. I too would never imagined using ribbon to tat with. That hankie is far too pretty to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the ribbon is about the same as size 10. I do like the sheen! I remember someone when I was growing up who always had a beautiful hanky in her hand. I don't remember who it was. I do remember going to the five and dime to by hankies for my grandmothers for Christmas, and they always made me feel like I had given them the most wonderful gift in the world!

      Delete
  5. I tatted a piece using ribbon a couple of years ago. It was fun, but fiddly. Because my hands sweat a lot, the polyester seemed to take on a life of its own. After looking at your lovely Ice Drop, I may try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what this ribbon is made of, but it sure was fun to work with!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely amazed that one can tat with ribbon! It doesn't seem possible - yet the stitches look like thread! Beautiful!

    How did you pick up on the pattern for the handkerchief? It's very pretty. Also remember those boxed handkerchiefs in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is a simple ring and chain repeat from The Craft of Tatting by Bessie M. Attenborough. I've had the book for years, and now I can't find it! I know it's somewhere in this clutter filled house!

      Delete
  7. I worked with ribbon and never posted it and never completed it as well am so glad your drop came out great and hanky too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to try and tat with ribbon, beautiful ice drop with the ribbon,
    Beautiful hanky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret! I have some other ribbons I'd like to try as well.

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!