Sunday, September 29, 2019

I'm back!

We had terrific storms on Friday. I helped daughter Carol with play practice after school, and the lightning was so fierce, I didn't want to get out of the car. About 6:45, the wind, thunder, lightning, and hail were so terrible, Dave and I went down in the basement. When we came back up, we could tell that at least one tree was down, but since it was dark, we couldn't see much.


In the morning, we could see that our big, beautiful maple had split in half. It was the first tree that we planted when we moved down on the farm in 1982.


Two trees that were tilting after last month's storm are resting on the tree house.


When the maple tree fell, it wrapped around our huge pine tree, stripping some of the branches.


The wind even took down the road sign for Sollitt Road.


Dave's chainsaw got quite a workout over the weekend. This is all that's left of our big, beautiful maple. The tree has not been in good shape for a few years, and we knew it had to come down. I guess now we don't have to pay for a tree service to come in and take care of it!

We were without Internet service from Friday night until late this afternoon. It's nice to be connected again!


My bookmark collection is growing!


I really appreciate all the input I have received about pricing both here and on Facebook.


I've decided that I'm going to price the bookmarks at $10 each. If they sell, great! If not, I'll have a supply on hand for gift giving.


I spent some time crocheting snowflakes today. It wasn't until I went to pin them out that I realized the one on the bottom left has seven spokes instead of six. I guess I'll have to do that one over again!

All four are from 100 Snowflakes to Crochet by Caitlin Sainio. The top left one is called Nevada, top right is Polar Glacier, bottom left is Droxtal, and bottom right is Flurry. They don't take long, so I many redo Droxtal tonight.

I do see inspiration for Ice Drops. Do you?

11 comments:

  1. So glad it was just trees and that you are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, sorry about your maple, that is sad. You’ll miss the landmark in your garden. The storm sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did provide lovely shade, and we will miss it. The noise sent us to the basement quickly!

      Delete
  3. Wow!! You have lots a lot of trees this year, and gained a lot of bookmarks and snowflakes too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lost a lot of trees! Our yard will look so different next year.

      Delete
  4. You should get $10 each for those. They're pretty and very practical too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your tree. You know I had similar. The bookmarks are really nice. I have done that pattern but not much. You really have the hang of it. Oh, does Dave do woodworking? If so, maybe he can salvage the maple. That is some nice wood if he can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember! Unfortunately you had damage to your house and your shed, as I recall. There's some hail damage to my car, but no damage to any of the buildings that we can tell. Dave does some woodworking, and I've been thinking of things he might be able to do with the maple. He said the inside of the tree was rotting, so there might not be much he could work with. We'll see!

      Delete
  6. I'm sitting here quite stunned! Those are amazing photos! So sorry about the maple tree! We have had such great weather with no rain or just mild showers that I didn't realize there were big storms where you are! That was really scary! So glad you are safe and the house is OK. Didn't realize you've been there since 1982!

    The amount of tatting you do continues to amaze me! The $10 price is good. That's a lot of tatting in there! And you can always give them for gifts; but I think they will sell!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!