Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Astrila


Yarn shopping always puts me in the mood to knit, especially when I find beautiful yarns! I'm eager to start with the yarns I purchased this weekend, but I need to finish my Reyna shawl that's already on the needles. I finished the next garter section before heading off to school. I have two more mesh and two more garter sections to go.


I'm subbing every day this week, so there really isn't much time for tatting, knitting, or crocheting. Still, I eek out every moment that I can.

I was one of three lucky winners of Frivole's new snowflake pattern, Astrila. This one is a challenge for me, because it has split rings. I can tat split rings, but they seem to take me forever! I'm hoping that by tatting several of this beautiful pattern, I'll become more comfortable with the technique.

The first two split rings were the most difficult for me. The first one has a join on the second half of the split ring. Following some tips that Tim emailed me, I was able to join successfully. I did have to fiddle with the thread to make the ring look right, but I think I did okay.

The second split ring has a picot on the second half. My picot is huge! I'll get better, but it's obvious that I need lots of practice. The rest of the split rings are small, and I've been able to tat them just fine.

Now that I'm in a rhythm with this pattern, I'm really enjoying it. This may become my Christmas snowflake for this year!

9 comments:

  1. Your shawl is in such a great color!! :)
    Looks like you are doing a great job on that snowflake!! :) I have trouble with joins and picots on the second side of a split ring too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shawl and its funny how certain tatting motions we just hate to do but glade your getting the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I've been trying to learn for a long time. Some day it will click!

      Delete
  3. Sounds as though you’re doing well. I’m going to start tatting Astrila today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember to move the second half around where you can put the picot on the finger to hold it. Looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just noticed the row tracker on your pattern for Reyna. I love that. I do it for the patterns I work. The hat I am knitting has diagrammed rows. I label them and tick them off when finished.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!