Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Baby, it's cold outside!

Yes, it is cold, with a high of 6℉ today, but it's supposed to be much colder tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm staying inside where it's toasty warm!


Yesterday, I worked on "Helen" from Twenty to Make: Tatted Snowflakes by Jennifer Williams. The pattern calls for beads, but I decided to tat it without beads first so that I could get a good feel for the pattern. I'm glad I did. I found the lock chains to be a bit challenging. I've done lock chains before, but yesterday my fingers just were not cooperating with the thread.


The cold weather gives me the urge to work with yarn, and this morning I went upstairs and found one of my drop spindles with fiber attached. I think I'll take time to practice spinning today. My goal is to perfect my drafting so that I can move on to my spinning wheel!


Daughter Alison really liked the waffle stitch afghans I made for the kids for Christmas, and she asked me to make one for her. She chose Lion Brand Mandala "Griffin" for her blanket. I do enjoy working the waffle stitch!


It's awfully dark in my corner of the living room since my Ottlite burned out. Luckily, the new bulb is supposed to arrive today. Since I couldn't see to tat, I worked on another 10 row pattern repeat of my shawl. This is also in Lion Brand Mandala. It will be interesting to see how large this will be with one ball. The color way is "Pegasus" and it's a ball that I bought on clearance for $3 at Walmart last year. I love a bargain!

11 comments:

  1. I’m going to have to look up this waffle stitch. Sounds easy and satisfying to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I like Fiber Spider's YouTube video the best. The setup is multiples of 3 plus 2. I'm using 180 stitches for my blanket.

      Delete
  2. Lots of fabulous projects!!! Wonderful way to stay in and stay warm!!!!!
    Could you send me a copy of the waffle stitch if it's knitting? I think a friend of mine might like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crochet. I just did a search on YouTube. Now you have me curious as to whether there's a knit version!

      Delete
    2. Thank you anyway. I have a friend who is very simple with her knitting and I just thought it would give her a new stitch that hopefully she could use. You did a beautiful job!!! :)

      Delete
  3. If you work with yarn, winter is the best time for it and wow that's cold. That stitch is beautiful. And your tatting is too, I like that look of the lock stitch but I dont enjoy making it, its time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is time consuming! Doing the second half of that lock stitch is like doing a split ring, and I still struggle to get those right!

      Delete
  4. You know how enthusiastic Denise can be, and last month she finally motivated me to try the waffle stitch (I liked the texture of your afghans) I did 8 panels for a future afghan before returning to tatting coz I need to decide on how to position them.
    Stay warm, stay cozy 👘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We woke up to 20 degrees below zero this morning, so I plan to spend a lot of time working under a blanket today. This latest waffle stitch isn't long enough to keep me warm yet. I need to tat at least a little every day, but in this cold weather, yarn is so comforting!

      Delete
  5. I like the look of the waffle stitch too. You have lovely projects on the go. I find drafting on my wheel much easier than on the spindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make sure I have all the pieces to my wheel and put it back together. My three-year-old grandson found it fascinating when he was down visiting last year, and took off all the pieces he could!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!