Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Ice, ice, baby!

School was cancelled today, because last night we had freezing rain. The main roads were okay, but the secondary roads were in bad shape. I know when Dave left for work this morning, I could see that our drive was solid ice.

I was glad to have an excuse to stay home today. My sinuses are all out of whack with the ups and downs in temperature, and it was nice to be able to just stay at home and take it easy.


I started the day with the intention of tatting three Ice Drops, all basic, but with varying numbers of picots. Then I got to dreaming of new projects!


Years ago, I knit a triangular shawl from Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls by Martha Waterman. I love this book! The pattern is an easy ten row repeat. I remember there was a challenge when the book came out, and several knitters used this pattern in various weights and types of yarn. I can't remember which magazine it was in, but that challenge is what attracted me to this book.

I still have my original shawl. I kept it on my chair at school for years, so that if it got chilly in the library I had something to throw over my shoulders. This ball of Lion Brand Mandala was sitting by my chair, and I kept thinking that it might be perfect for this shawl pattern. I'm happy I decided to give it a try!


My afghan is growing! We're expecting frigid temps again over the next week, so I figure I will have the perfect opportunity to finish it and keep warm at the same time!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that’s a book I’d like to browse. Keep warm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is from 1998, and it's a wonderful one to read! I wonder if there are any copies still available?

      Delete
  2. The cold is coming! A shawl and an afghan will be needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think... I can be bundled up in fiber, have an excuse to stay put, and do what I want all day long! ...after housework. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous projects for an icy day!!! :)
    We have those temps coming too. Sure wish I could get the hang of knitting so I could finish the blanket our daughter started for me several years ago and then I will be able to keep warm too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!