Monday, January 21, 2019

Denise to the rescue

We cancelled Tollway Tatters today because of the predicted frigid temperatures. I'm glad we did. There were multiple car accidents on the highways this morning, and I would not have wanted any of my friends to take any risks. We reached a high of 11 today... good reason to stay put!

I did invite Chris and Denise over to tat. We had a wonderful time! Chris has been tatting about a year, and she's working on a Christmas tree pattern. Denise has been tatting a little longer than I have. She was working on earrings, and she tried out my new Kaplan thread. We agreed that the thread is beautiful and easy to tat with, but picots do need extra care.


I spent the day adapting "Auriel" from Twenty to Make: Tatted Snowflakes by Jennifer Williams. This one really gave my brain a workout! As I was completing the first round, I realized there was no way to tat the last ring that I needed. I was ready to snip and start over, but luckily I was smart enough to hand it to Denise for a second opinion. Denise pointed out that I could make my way up the chain to the place I needed to place the ring. I cut a length of thread and sewed my way to the proper place, and then I was able to tat the last ring.

I'm sure glad Denise figured out a solution, because I really don't think I had the brain power to repeat the first round including the encapsulation for the glass gem!

I will be tatting "Auriel" one more time. I'm determined to have the snowflake completed as designed!

10 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see how you adapt different patterns into ice drops. Glad Denise helped you out here! Also glad you didn't venture out. We're patiently waiting for the below-zero temps to pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I usually can't just look at a pattern and figure out how to turn it into an Ice Drop. I usually have to tat it as written and feel the way it should work out. It's supposed to warm up today, but be frigid by the weekend. I'm very happy that we have what we need to stay warm!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great time!! Glad everyone stayed safe and hopefully warm!!!
    We reached 4 degrees today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been even more fun if we'd been able to meet with all of our group! Gosh, we were balmy compared to you. We got all the way up to 11!

      Delete
  3. Ah, two heads are better than one! The ice drop turned out really well. We’re so hot here it’s hard to imagine cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I would have snipped if Denise hadn't come up with a solution. I probably would have figured it out while working on the new piece. I'm so glad she made her suggestion!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty snowflake with a sparkling centre. We had a very hard frost last night, no snow yet......!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some snow, but nothing to write home about. We're supposed to get warmer temps and rain today, so our snow may all disappear!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful adaptation and inspiring as well 💖 Denise can truly motivate and inspire 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah for you and Denise! The finished Ice Drop is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!