Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sewing in the dark

Today was a great first day of school! Most of the kids seemed happy to be back, and everything went very smoothly.

With they hybrid model our school district is using, I'm able to get home by about 12:30. Mom and I had a quick lunch, and then we headed to Kankakee so that she could register to vote. That also went smoothly, and then we hit a rough patch... a really rough patch! I was trying to show Mom around the area and I wound up driving through two slow areas of road construction (slow by small town standards) and a long stretch of country road that was being re-graveled. My car was a dusty mess!

Mom and I chose to drive to a car wash and then do some grocery shopping. By the time all was said and done, it was almost time to start supper. I did a little sewing, but not much.


After dinner, Mom and I sat on the porch for a while, just enjoying the sounds of the cicadas and the traffic going by. When we went in, I decided to finish the first part of sewing my lavender eye pillow pillowcases. Tomorrow, I plan to zig zag, trim corners, turn, and press. Then they'll be ready for delivery!

13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear school got off to a good start! I can imagine the children are pleased to be back. I do like that paisley fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting back to school has a new meaning this year, glad all went well. Schools in the UK go back in a few weeks time and there is a great sense of joy and nervousness for the parents. Sorry to hear about your afternoon, hope today is better. Yes also love the paisley one, colours are very Autumnal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has new meaning! It's so nice to be around kids again!

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear that your school year started off good!! :)
    Looks and sounds like you are still keeping busy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have the earliest starting school date in the country, especially in these times. I admire all of you for this effort. They are lucky to have you, as your optimistic attitude is so important. You are striving even to get some 'color' into the classroom! And you continue to do your crafts! After that traffic situation I would have been too exhausted; but I was pleased that you both relaxed on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are schools that opened earlier than ours. When I first started teaching, school began the week before Labor Day. I believe we moved to a week earlier because so many people kept their kids out until after the holiday. If there are no snow days, school is usually over for the kids the Friday before Memorial Day. Oh, how I love our front porch! Mom and I sat out there again last night. It's a great way to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an inspiration and a wonderful teacher. The school children are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love spending time with the kids, especially since I've known most of them since they were in preschool!

      Delete
  7. I only wish I could have some of your energy! I also prefer the paisley material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I don't feel very energetic most days, but I do keep going as long as I can!

      Delete
  8. Nice to hear the kids are going back to school, here they are still on holiday until the beginning of September, most have not been in school since our lockdown in mid march.
    You are certainly are busy sewing

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!